Friends of Scouting Campaign Information
FRIENDS OF SCOUTING UNIT CAMPAIGNS (FOS)
Each scouting unit is asked to conduct a FOS campaign to explain the services of the Longhorn Council to parents and leaders and to encourage them to participate in supporting the costs of the annual operation. Each Unit conducting and hitting their GOAL earns an incentive from the Council. This information and description is explained in detail further down on this page under the heading UNIT INCENTIVES.
The Longhorn Council is a United Way partner agency.
United Way Codes, Tarrant: 9009, Dallas: 401, All others are write-ins
NEW NEW NEW FOS APPROACH FOR CAMPAIGNS—-The One Month Campaign!!!
This year each unit is asked to ‘run’ their campaign in the month of February, which is Scout Anniversary month. There are exceptions however. The LDS church operates their FOS during the 5th Sunday which may fall in a month other than February. The Council will support these dates as in the past.
Also, units that historically have done a successful event November or December of the previous year, may continue. Please work with your District volunteers and professionals to coordinate the campaign approach and timing.
NEW this year also is the option and opportunity to conduct the FOS campaign electronically. The Council will provide each unit choosing this option with a website that is mobile compatible, to electronically conduct your units’ campaign. In addition, units will receive electronic templates for information, educational resources, and communications that can be customized to easily communicate to your parents.
This year we ask each unit to Declare their intent and acceptance of the FOS goal, and to state what FOS approach is their intent. The Declaration page in the resource section will be included in the Rechartering Packet for each unit.
The FOS approaches are:
- A Direct Ask—this is a specific ask to each leader and family following communication sent by the unit and the Council. This will be assisted by an electronic Fund Raising website for convenience.
- Conducting a presentation at your February meeting using an Internal Speaker; the Council will provide support through video’s and appropriate printed materials. If there is not a planned meeting called for the unit in the month of February, the unit may wish to follow the ‘church potluck’ approach.
- Conducting an FOS presentation with an External Speaker…much as in the past. The Unit Champion will prepare pre meeting communications and conduct the follow up ask to each family not present.
FRIENDS OF SCOUTING—UNIT INCENTIVE
See the Unit Incentive Resource Sheet below.
Several video stories provide useful information to you and the parents. While many have some dated references, please over look that to see what story and message can be used.
- FOS stick man
- Iceberg presentation
- Robert Gates on leadership
- How to Make an FOS Presentation
- The Ask – Why Give to FOS
- Declaration Page
- Unit Campaign Committment
- FOS Unit Incentives
- Goal Completion Form
- Unit Campaign Operations Manual
- FAQ for Briefings and Roundtables
- Tufts University Infographic of program outcomes
- “What the Council Does for the Unit” Brochure
- “Investments Past and Future” Brochure
- How To Make an FOS Presentation – VIDEO
- The Ask – Why Give to FOS – VIDEO