Texas Powder Horn
High Adventure Resource Training for Troop & Crew Leaders
Powder Horn 2019: September 8-8 and 20-22 at Camp Tahuaya
Co-Sponsored by Longhorn Council and Capitol Area Council.
For questions or further information, please contact Diane Morrison, Powder Horn Committee Chair, at email@example.com.
Scouting leaders often face the dilemma of having a strong desire to provide challenging and fun outdoor programs to meet the needs of their older youth, while lacking the knowledge and/or resources to do so. Powder Horn responds to this quandary by exposing Scouts BSA and Venturing leaders to a wide range of outdoor/high adventure activities. More importantly, Powder Horn provides participants with valuable resources and contacts to assist them in delivering the promise of Scouting’s high adventure. Capitol Area and Longhorn Councils are proud to co-host this year’s Powder Horn training course at Longhorn Council’s beautiful Camp Tahuaya, located near Belton, Texas.
During Powder Horn, we “learn by doing” with expert consultants who demonstrate the skills and explain where resources, such as equipment, facilities, guides, instructors, and certifications can be obtained. You will sample the activities yourself so you will know how much fun your crew or troop will be able to have. We recruit an all-star staff of experienced Scouters and experts from all over Texas to guide you through the adventure!
Powder Horn isn’t only for Venturing leaders, but also for Scoutmasters, Assistant Scoutmasters and older youth leaders!
Powder Horn is a resource course designed to introduce and expose Venturing and Scouts BSA adult and youth (over the age of 14) leaders to the activities and resources necessary to operate a successful outdoor/high adventure unit-level program.
- Two Full 3-Day Weekends from Friday morning through Sunday afternoon.
- Enrollment for this course is limited to the first 48 fully paid participants.
- Fees include all meals, training materials and supplies.
- No refunds after 2 weeks prior to course start.
What others have said about Powder Horn (comments from prior courses):
“Lots of fun! My inner child got to come out and play!”
“Like drinking from a fire hose of information!”
“Awesome Powder Horn, had a lot of fun, learned a lot of new stuff! You guys did a great job!”
“Summer camp for adults!”
“Best adult training I’ve attended”
For questions or further information, please contact Course Director.
- Registered member of BSA.
- Adults must have completed youth protection and training for their position.
- Youth must submit a recommendation from their Adviser/Scoutmaster to the Course Director for approval.
- Meet BSA physical requirements. Bring a current BSA Annual Health and Medical Record (parts A, B, C).
Planned Powder Horn topics include:
- ATV Safety Class
- Reptiles (Snakes of Texas)
- US Cavalry Living History
- Expedition Planning
- First Aid
- Fly Fishing
- Land Navigation
- Outdoor Ethics
- Mountain Biking
- Shooting Sports
- Watercraft (Canoeing, Kayaking, S.U.P.s, racing canoes)
- Wilderness Survival
- Working with Teens
- And maybe even Winter Sports!
Note: Powder Horn is challenge by choice. No one has to participate in any activity which he or she may feel uncomfortable doing.