Back to All Articles

March 18, 2020, by Victor Rivera

Message from LHC Scout Executive about closures and postponements due to COVID-19 (Coronavirus), posted 3/18/2020





March 18, 2020


Dear Longhorn Council Scouting Family,


The Longhorn Council cares deeply about the health and safety of all our Scouts and every member of their families.  Based on guidance from our public health leaders, the Council is updating our calendars and recommendations to units.


Through the end of April all district and council events and camporees, trainings, meetings and weekend camping are cancelled or postponed, with the exception of meetings that can be conducted electronically by conference call or online meeting or other means following accepted public health guidelines.


Also, through April 30, units should postpone or cancel all in-person meetings that will not follow the CDC guidelines for social distancing or cannot be held remotely using technology.  While this public health measure presents challenges, Scouting can continue.  Advancement can still happen.  Small den or patrol meetings might be possible (in person or via remote communication).  We all have to be creative.


Here is an update on activity and meeting dates for Longhorn Council as of today:


What will still go on:


  • Scouts BSA Summer resident camp programs at Camp Tahuaya, Worth Ranch and Sid Richardson Scout Ranch (SR2) will go on as planned!
  • Cub Scout Day Camps in June throughout the Council will go on
  • Cub Scout summer Resident Camp at Camp Tahuaya will go on
  • High Adventure Base programs at SR2 and at all BSA National bases will go on


What has been postponed:


  • The three Rocket Academy and Family Adventure events on March 14, April 5 and April 18 will be moved to the three Rocket Academy and Family Adventure events scheduled in October.
  • October 3, Cub Rocket Academy at Camp Tahuaya
  • October 10, Family Adventure at SR2; and
  • October 24 Cub Rocket Academy at SR2


  • The April 18 and April 25 Canoe Races at Worth Ranch will be moved to the Fall Canoe Races in September, and a tentative Canoe Race make up day in mid-May (for those of us getting a little stir crazy – if CDC and health department guidance allows such events in May).
    • May 23, Spring Canoe Race (tentative) at Worth Ranch
    • September 12, Fall Canoe Race at Worth Ranch
    • September 19, Fall Canoe race at Worth Ranch


  • April 28 Council Recognition Dinner and Annual Meeting. Future plans are to be determined.  Council Annual Meeting and elections will continue as scheduled using remote meeting technology.


What has been cancelled:


  • Weekend camping. Longhorn Council camps closed are closed to unit activities through April.
  • March 21 Spring-O at SR2
  • March 21 Webelos Woods at Camp Tahuaya
  • March 28 Webelos Woods at Worth Ranch
  • April 18 Webelos Woods (make-up date) at Worth Ranch.


Please know that Scouting does not need to stop during this time.  Encourage your Scouts to work on their advancements at home or virtually with their merit badge counsellor.  Leaders may go online and take a training course.  Find a way to conduct a virtual Roundtable.  District and Council elections should be conducted remotely, just make sure to follow election procedures.


The Council Service Centers in both Hurst and Waco remain open during normal hours.  Our professional staff is still working, although mostly from remote locations, so feel free to contact them on their cell phones if you need assistance with charter renewals or anything else.  As always, our commissioner staff stands ready to support as well, so feel free to call on them, even if just to say “hi”.


These are challenging times, and I wish all the best.  Stay safe!




John Coyle, Scout Executive


Comments are closed.