August 26, 2020, by Victor Rivera
Family Fun Fest: Saturday, September 12th (deadline to send PWD Car is September 8th)
Start Your Engines! We Want to race your Pinewood Derby car at the Texas Motor Speedway!
That’s right! Build a Pinewood Derby car, send it to us and we’ll race it at the Texas Motor Speedway in the very first Pinewood Derby 500 Open.
This will be a single category race. Cars will be raced in preliminaries at Texas Motor Speedway (TMS), with finals held at TMS on Saturday, Sept 12. We’ll broadcast the finals as part of Family Fun Fest! Be sure to watch the fun!
Note: This is just for fun! This race does not replace your regular Pinewood Derby Car Race.
VERY IMPORTANT – CARS WILL NOT BE RETURNED! DO NOT SEND CARS THAT ARE OF SENTIMENTAL VALUE!
Q: “What are you going to do with all those cars?”
A: Cars will be used as a fun way to thank volunteers and staff for all their efforts in Scouting. Make it special! include a hand-written thank you note to a parent or leader with your car!
How to Enter
Step 1: Register your car. Only 500 cars will be accepted – first come, first served!
Step 2: Build your car. Car kits can be purchased at your local Scout Shop or at ScoutShop.org.
Step 3: Take a photo of your car and post it to the BSA Facebook page with the hashtag #Pinewood500
Step 4: Write your registration number and first name only CLEARLY on the bottom of your car.
Step 5: Carefully pack your car and include a copy of the registration form. It must be packed ready to race when you pack it. Important: The BSA is not responsible for any type of damage to the car. Please pack and ship your car carefully. There will be no assembly or modifications made to the car. (For example, make sure the wheels are securely attached!)
Remember: Cars will not be returned! Do not send cars that are of sentimental value!
Step 6: Mail your car to:
Boy Scouts of America
1325 West Walnut Hill Lane
Irving, TX 75039
Attn: Pinewood Derby Open
YOUR CAR MUST ARRIVE BY END OF DAY TUESDAY SEPTEMBER 8, 2020
Rules For Building Your Pinewood Derby Car
- According to the BSA’s Cub Scout Leader How-To-Book, the general rules are as follows:
- All cars must pass the following inspection to qualify for the race:
- Width shall not exceed 2-3/4 inches.
- Length shall not exceed 7 inches.
- Weight shall not exceed 5 ounces.
- Axles, wheels, and body shall be from the materials provided in the official Pinewood Derby kit available at Scout Shops or at ScoutShop.org. Additional wheels can be purchased separately.
- Wheel bearings, washers, and bushings are prohibited.
- No lubricating oil may be used. Axles may be lubricated with powdered graphite or silicone.
- The car shall not ride on any kind of spring.
- The car must be free-wheeling, with no starting devices.
- No loose materials of any kind are allowed in the car.
Race Team reserves the right to remove cars from competition based on specification or design issues.
Make safety your top priority. David Meade, author of Pinewood Derby® Speed Secrets, offers useful guidelines for maintaining safety:
- Gather your safety essentials: dust mask, goggles, and latex gloves.
- Wear eye protection at all times.
- Monitor use of tools.
- Wear a dust mask when appropriate.
- Work in a well-lighted and well-ventilated area.
- Consider wearing gloves when using sharp tools.
- Do not wear loose-fitting clothing.
- Do not melt lead; handle lead with care.
- Follow all safety rules and precautions listed on the tools and products you use.
- Keep your work area clean and organized.
Comments are closed.