November 17, 2018
University of Scouting
Training For All Scouters!
Sign up by midnight on Monday, November 12th!
The Longhorn Council’s University of Scouting volunteers are deeply committed to advancing educational excellence and preparing participants to become well rounded, knowledgeable, leaders in all aspects of Scouting.
To be the largest annual training event providing comprehensive top quality education to Scouters in and around the Longhorn Council to help deliver the Promise of Scouting. LHC University of Scouting will be a diverse and inclusive institution creating knowledge and innovations, while cultivating excellence in the next generation of Scouts and Scouters.
- University of Scouting 2018 Course Catalog
- 2018 one page Class Schedule Chart
- Click here or scroll down to Register
Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/LHCUniversityofScouting to get advanced alerts of registration and class offerings.
Tarrant County College – Trinity River Campus, 300 Trinity Campus Circle, Fort Worth, Texas 76102.
The University of Scouting encourages all participants to wear the complete and proper uniform of the Boy Scouts of America. Due to physical activity and/or possible messiness, some classes may suggest you remove your scout shirt and wear your activity shirt. All clothing should be scout appropriate.
All participants and staff must check in with the Vice Chancellor-Admissions at the Registration Desk. You may not attend a class without registering. The Registration Desk will have staff on hand throughout the day to assist you with any questions or schedule changes.
Longhorn Council recognizes there are a number of companies in North Texas who work hand-in-hand with the Boy Scouts of America. We have invited a number of these companies to attend and will provide an opportunity for you to visit, learn about their mission, and have an opportunity to learn about special product promotions. Community-based and service organizations will be on hand so you may learn how you or your scouts may partner with them to serve the needs of the communities.
The BSA Scout Shop and other vendors will have products available for purchase. They can sell out fast so make sure you visit all the vendors. Our Midway does feature prizes and drawings. Make sure you learn the rules and participate.
Guests and Children?
Guests are not allowed. All who attend the University of Scouting must register. There are no accommodations for babysitting, daycare or other means of looking after children. As a courtesy to other attendees and to prevent any disruptions, children are not permitted to attend the event even if accompanied by a parent or guardian. The only exception to this rule are those youth (13 years or older) who have registered as participants.
Longhorn Council is offering a degree program from University of Scouting to earn your Associate, Bachelor, Master and Doctorate degrees. In order to earn your patch you must complete the requirements set forth in the current Degree Program.
ASSOCIATE DEGREE REQUIREMENTS:
- Complete five (5) credits from the 2015 or later LHC University of Scouting as a participant or instructor.
- Visit three (3) Midway booths.
BACHELOR DEGREE REQUIREMENTS:
- Receive Associate Degree from LHC University of Scouting.
- Be a registered Scouter with current Youth Protection Training.
- Earn the BSA “TRAINED” patch for your current registered position.
- Visit three (3) Midway booths in the year earning the Bachelor Degree.
- Complete an additional five (5) University of Scouting credits for a total of ten (10) credits as a participant or instructor.
MASTER DEGREE REQUIREMENTS:
- Receive Bachelor Degree from LHC University of Scouting.
- Visit three (3) Midway booths in the year earning the Master Degree.
- Bring one (1) new person to LHC University of Scouting to earn their Associate Degree.
- Complete six (6) additional University of Scouting credits as a participant or instructor for a total of sixteen (16) credits.
- Complete three position-related supplemental training courses. Examples include:
- Cubs: BALOO, Shooting Sports, Hazardous Weather, Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders (OWL), District Committee Training Workshop, Safe Swim Defense, Certified CPR/First Aid course, Trainer’s EDGE, and any American Red Cross health and safety course.
- Boy Scout / Varsity / Venturing: Safe Swim Defense, Safety Afloat, Trek Safely, Climb on Safely, Merit Badge Counselor Orientation, Health and Safety Course, Leave No Trace Trainer, Tread Lightly! Tread Trainer, Climbing Instructor, BSA Lifeguard, Trainer’s EDGE, District Committee Training Workshop, certified CPR/First Aid course, and any American Red Cross Health and Safety course
- Show you have completed at least one (1) of the following:
- Wood Badge Training
- NYLT Training
- Powder Horn
- Conservation Weekend
- Leave No Trace Master Educator
DOCTORATE DEGREE REQUIREMENTS:
- Receive Master Degree from the LHC University of Scouting.
- Complete four (4) additional course credits as a participant for a total of twenty (20) credits.
- Serve as an instructor, faculty or support staff in the current year’s LHC University of Scouting.
- Bring one (1) participant to University of Scouting that is working on their Associate Degree.
- Show you have completed one (1) of the following:
- Wood Badge Staff
- Powder Horn Staff
- NYLT Staff
- Leave No Trace Master Educator Staff
- Tread Lightly! Master Trainer
- Staff Jamboree
- National Camp School
- Philmont Training Center
- Council Camporee Staff
- Key Three Training
- Master Degree at College of Commissioner Science