January 25, 2020
NRA Rifle & Shotgun
NRA Rifle Instructor, Shotgun Instructor, and Range Safety Officer certification
NRA Instructor certification is required to run a rifle or shotgun range for Scouts and Venturers and to be a Rifle Shooting Merit Badge or Shotgun Shooting Merit Badge counselor.
This series of courses is for Scouters interested in becoming an NRA instructor. The Longhorn Council Shooting Sports Committee is offering the required NRA classes to become an instructor, along with NRA Range Safety Officer (RSO) class and the Texas Hunter Education Student Course.
We also offer one day RSO Range Safety Officer Courses.
Here are the new NRA requirements for NRA Rifle Instructor and Shotgun Instructor certification:
- Take the NRA Basic class in the specific disciplines of Rifle and Shotgun. These are the basic student classes.
- Take the Basic Instructor Training (BIT) course. 6 hours. Good for 2 years.
- Take the Rifle Specific Instructor class (14 hours) and the Shotgun Specific Instructor class (10 hours).
COST: $225 for the complete series of courses.
- NRA Basic Rifle Shooting student class,
- NRA Basic Shotgun Shooting student class,
- BIT (Basic Instructor Training),
- NRA Rifle Instructor Specific,
- NRA Shotgun Instructor Specific,
- NRA Range Safety Officer (RSO) class, and
- Texas Hunter Education Student Course.
You MUST complete both Step 1 and Step 2.
STEP 1. Take one of the NRA Basic Rifle Shooting and the NRA Basic Shotgun Shooting classes. These classes are for those interested in becoming an NRA instructor in rifle or shotgun.
- 1a. Jan. 25, 2020. Tahuaya. 9:00 a.m.; or,
- 1b. Feb. 8, 2020. SR2. 9:00 a.m. ; or,
- 1c. Feb. 22, 2020. Worth Ranch. 9:00 a.m.
STEP 2. Take the two-weekend BIT and Instructor Specific Rifle and Shotgun Classes (must take both weekends). These classes are for those interested in becoming an NRA rifle or shotgun instructor, AND who have completed the required Basic student classes for Rifle and/or Shotgun. Must take both weekends.
- STEP 2, Weekend 1: Mar. 14-15, 2020. Worth Ranch.
- STEP 2, Weekend 2: Mar. 21-22, 2020. Worth Ranch.
Campsite and all training materials provided. Bring a pencil / pen & pad, 1 copy each of current Rifle & Shotgun Merit Badge pamphlets, a good attitude, enthusiasm, camping gear, food and drinks for the weekend.
NOTE: You will responsible for sending your own NRA Application and appropriate NRA fees to the NRA headquarters.
For further information contact: Dennis Johnson, [email protected]
|January 25, 2020||January 25, 2020||NRA Basic Rifle Shooting and NRA Basic Shotgun Shooting student classes. Camp Tahuaya, Jan 25||9:00am-6:00pm||Register|
|February 8, 2020||February 8, 2020||NRA Basic Rifle Shooting and NRA Basic Shotgun Shooting student classes. SR2, Feb 8||9:00am-6:00pm||Register|
|February 22, 2020||February 22, 2020||NRA Basic Rifle Shooting and NRA Basic Shotgun Shooting student classes. Worth Ranch, Feb 22||9:00am-6:00pm||Register|
|March 14, 2020||March 15, 2020||Instructor Training Weekend 1, Worth Ranch. March 14-15||8:00am-6:00pm||Register|
|March 21, 2020||March 22, 2020||Instructor Training Weekend 2, Worth Ranch. March 21-22||8:00am-6:00pm||Register|