November 6, 2020
Lakeview Lodge Managed Deer Hunt
The Lakeview Lodge deer hunt is a controlled hunt managed with assistance from the Texas Parks & Wildlife Managed Land Deer Permits program (MLDP). Limited hunting is used to control deer populations, maintain a strong gene pool in the herd, and raise funds for maintenance at the camp. No other hunting is allowed during the year. A TPWD Wildlife Biologist supervises the annual fall deer count and analyzes the results to issue deer tags for use by the hunters participating in the annual managed harvest on the ranch.
Lakeview Lodge is part of the 2500 acre Sid Richardson Scout Ranch (SR2) located on Lake Bridgeport, 70 miles northwest of DFW airport. Each year the Ranch closes the first weekend in November, Thanksgiving weekend, and the second weekend in December for a controlled harvest of deer.
The Lakeview Lodge Deer Hunt is an example of what proper game management can achieve. In 2009 the average weight of a full grown doe on Sid Richardson Scout Ranch was approximately 60 pounds, and bucks were 80-100 pounds. In 2020 the average mature doe weight is now 100-120 pounds and mature bucks are 180-200 pounds. Through proper management the deer herd on Sid Richardson Scout Ranch is now far healthier. Scroll down or click here to see some of our Trail Cam deer photos.
Weekend deer hunts include 6 meals from Friday night thru Sunday lunch and lodging at a Lakeview Lodge cabin or dorm. Heated cabins and dorms with hot showers are offered for your comfort. There are 20 blinds – a mix of box and tree stands. Arrangements can be made to accommodate people with disabilities. The weekend hunts are limited to approximately 15 hunters, with guests. Lakeview Lodge offers hot meals each day and transportation to and from the blinds, if requested.
This year’s hunts will incorporate current Covid-19 protocols for hygiene, social distancing, masks, cleaning and sanitizing. For example, hunters in cabins will get a grill to cook their own big steak dinner at the cabin.
Our TPWD Wildlife Biologist has advised that we need to reduce the number of antlerless deer on the property. In order to prevent overpopulation and to increase the number of bucks available in the future, our prices this year are cheaper for hunters who shoot an Antlerless deer first versus a Buck, or who shoot only Antlerless.
Deer Hunt Cost: $450.00, $550.00, or $600.00 per gun (hunter) per weekend and $100 per non hunting guest. Only 15 hunters are booked for each weekend. All hunts are rain or shine. We will place you in highly productive areas selected by experienced guides. While we cannot guarantee that you will harvest a deer during your stay, we do promise good food, good fellowship, and a weekend in the woods without any ZOOM meetings!
Maximum number of whitetail deer that can be harvested by one hunter on a hunt weekend is two.
- Option ONE: 1 Buck first and 1 Antlerless. $600. If a Buck is harvested first, the cost is $550.00. If the hunter wants to keep hunting and try to harvest an antlerless on day 2, then the 2nd deer tag will cost an additional $50.00 (for a total weekend cost of $600.00).
- Option TWO: Antlerless First $550. If an Antlerless is harvested first, the cost is $550.00 and the second deer, Buck or Antlerless is free.
- Option THREE: Antlerless Only. $450. If a hunter wants to shoot ONLY antlerless for the hunting weekend the cost is $450.00.
Hunters must ensure that an antlerless animal to be harvested does not meet the definition of a buck as defined in the TPWD Outdoor Annual.
- Non-Hunting guests 16 years of age and older are $100.00 each for the weekend.
- Non-Hunting guests 10 years of age to 15 are $50.00 each for the weekend.
- Non-Hunting guests 9 years of age and younger are Free.
For a small additional fee, our staff will process your deer for you. “Process” is defined as field dressing, skinning and quartering for transportation. Upon request, we will teach first-time hunters how to field dress/process their deer. The wildlife management program is managed by our volunteer Wildlife Management Committee with deer lease management and deer hunting experience.
Recent Deer Cam Photos:
Other Services and Facilities
- Full meal service, coffee breaks, snacks
- Fishing available, with license
- Experienced help available weekends to help prepare kills for cold storage.
Lake Bridgeport, Wise County, Texas
Any rifle legal for hunting deer in Texas. 20 gauge or 12 gauge shotguns with slugs.
Limited to approx. 15 hunters per weekend. Friday night (except opening weekend) through Sunday evening.
20 Deer stands are available. Ground blinds, tree stands, and elevated platforms. Stand locations are determined by first come, first served basis. If requested, transportation can be arranged to and from your stand.
Lakeview Lodge Accommodations
- Eight 2-bedroom cabins with central heat, living room, TV/DVD, bathroom & shower, and kitchen (sleeps 6).
- Four 16-bed dormitories with central heat and showers.
- Weekend hunters are served home cooked meals at their cabins or in the Lakeview dining hall Friday supper to Sunday lunch.
- Rifles: all rifles legal for deer hunting in Texas.
- Shotguns: all shotguns legal for deer hunting in Texas.
- For safety reasons we cannot allow stalking.
- Every hunter must have a current Texas Hunting License.
- Every hunter born after September 1, 1971 must have completed an approved Hunter’s Education Program.
- All hunts are conducted in accordance with the Texas Parks & Wildlife rules and regulations.
- Anyone in a designated hunting areas must wear an orange safety vest at all times.
- A legal buck is defined as having: a hardened antler protruding through the skin AND; at least one un-branched antler; OR an inside spread measurement between the main beams of 13 inches or greater.
- Alcohol and pets are not allowed on Scouts BSA property.
- ATV’s are not allowed on Sid Richardson Scout Ranch.
- All buildings are smoke free.
|November 6, 2020||November 8, 2020||Lakeview Lodge at Sid Richardson Scout Ranch||6:00pm-7:00pm||Register|
|November 27, 2020||November 29, 2020||Lakeview Lodge at Sid Richardson Scout Ranch||6:00pm-7:00pm||Register|
|December 11, 2020||December 13, 2020||Lakeview Lodge at Sid Richardson Scout Ranch||6:00pm-7:00pm||Register|