April 17, 2021
Brazos River Canoe Races
The races have modified the race with Covid-19 Safety Protocols!
Lunch, boats, equipment, & awards provided. Open to Scouts, Venturers, Explorers, and adults. All must be swimmers. Camping is open all weekend – one unit per campsite.
Units must report to the check-in station upon arrival and undergo temperature screening along with the health screening questions for every participant. Covid-19 paperwork (“Health Screening questionnaire” and “BSA Acknowledgement of Risk” form), must be turned in upon arrival.
- We are limiting the number of participants who can register for each race weekend to 275.
- All units will pre-register and pick their own ARRIVAL TIME, RACE CHECK-IN TIME, and BOAT PICKUP / START TIME. Start times will be spaced in order to prevent crowds and allow units to easily follow social distancing guidelines with respect to other groups. Your RACE CHECK-IN TIME gives you 1.5 hrs. to get ready or get your campsite setup before reporting to the river for your BOAT PICKUP & START TIME.
- We will stretch the race out over four or five hours of start times in order to avoid crowding at check-in, at the Boat and Equipment checkout area, at the put in to begin the race, on the river, and at the take out as they come off the river.
- We will have Arrival Screeners and dedicated Sanitizing staff.
- Cleaning and sanitizing of high touch items and facilities like bathrooms and showers will take place several times each day.
- Bathrooms and shower facilities will be fogged with a bleach solution.
- There is no 14 mile race this fall.
- A limited # of kayaks will be available. Personal kayaks and canoes are still allowed.
- The indoor Saturday night spaghetti supper is cancelled due to hygiene and social distancing concerns, and the price is dropped.
- No large-group award ceremony.
- Awards will be calculated and times posted in the dining hall. Awards will also be posted online as soon as possible. Awards will be delivered to units that are camping at their campsites on Saturday evening.
- Units will receive their Canoe Race BOAT Information Forms by email and bring the completed forms to RACE CHECK-IN.
- Covid-19 paperwork must be turned in for EACH PERSON on arrival at the Ranger Station:
- “Health Screening Questionnaire”
- “BSA Acknowledgement of Risk” form.
Scroll down to: register for Canoe Races.
6:30 a.m.–……………… RACE CHECK-IN begins – by appointment. One Leader turns in Canoe Race Boat Information Forms and picks up race numbers, driving directions, maps, lunches, and Race Wristbands.
8:00 a.m………………… First BOAT PICKUP / START TIME.
8:15 a.m…………………. First 6-Mile race start
8:00 a.m.–1:30 PM … 6-Mile Race Start Times – by appointment.
5:00 PM ………………… 6-Mile river races ends
7:00-8:00 PM …………. Awards Announced & delivered (as soon as they are ready)