September 12, 2020
Brazos River Canoe Races
*Update posted Thursday, September 10, 2020*
The Fall Canoe Race #1 is postponed to next weekend due to high water. Units that can’t make Fall Canoe Race #2 next weekend can race on September 26th or October 3rd. Start times will be adjusted for everyone to fit the two weekends together in a way that avoids having crowds at the river.
Most of the watershed upstream of Possum Kingdom Lake got heavy rains earlier in the last week, and got another 2″ – 2.5″ of rain yesterday. There’s a lot of water coming downstream to the lake over the next 3-4 days. Possum Kingdom Dam will be releasing 2,700 CFS through the outflow pipe this weekend. Brazos River Authority may also have to open a gate or two which is 9,000 CFS / gate.
NEW for 2020 – we have modified the race with Covid-19 Safety Protocols!
Lunch, boats, equipment, & awards provided. Open to Scouts, Venturers, Explorers, and adults. All must be swimmers. Camping is open all weekend – one unit per campsite.
Units must report to the check-in station upon arrival and undergo temperature screening along with the health screening questions for every participant. Covid-19 paperwork (“Health Screening questionnaire” and “BSA Acknowledgement of Risk” form), must be turned in upon arrival.
- We are limiting the number of participants who can register for each race weekend to 275.
- All units will pre-register and pick their own ARRIVAL TIME, RACE CHECK-IN TIME, and BOAT PICKUP / START TIME. Start times will be spaced in order to prevent crowds and allow units to easily follow social distancing guidelines with respect to other groups. Your RACE CHECK-IN TIME gives you 1.5 hrs. to get ready or get your campsite setup before reporting to the river for your BOAT PICKUP & START TIME.
- We will stretch the race out over four or five hours of start times in order to avoid crowding at check-in, at the Boat and Equipment checkout area, at the put in to begin the race, on the river, and at the take out as they come off the river.
- We will have Arrival Screeners and dedicated Sanitizing staff.
- Cleaning and sanitizing of high touch items and facilities like bathrooms and showers will take place several times each day.
- Bathrooms and shower facilities will be fogged with a bleach solution.
- There is no 14 mile race this fall.
- A limited # of kayaks will be available. Personal kayaks and canoes are still allowed.
- The indoor Saturday night spaghetti supper is cancelled due to hygiene and social distancing concerns, and the price is dropped.
- No large-group award ceremony.
- Awards will be calculated and times posted in the dining hall. Awards will also be posted online as soon as possible. Awards will be delivered to units that are camping at their campsites on Saturday evening.
- Units will receive their Canoe Race BOAT Information Forms by email and bring the completed forms to RACE CHECK-IN.
- Covid-19 paperwork must be turned in for EACH PERSON on arrival at the Ranger Station:
- “Health Screening Questionnaire”
- “BSA Acknowledgement of Risk” form.
Scroll down to: register for Canoe Races.
6:30 a.m.–……………… RACE CHECK-IN begins – by appointment. One Leader turns in Canoe Race Boat Information Forms and picks up race numbers, driving directions, maps, lunches, and Race Wristbands.
8:00 a.m………………… First BOAT PICKUP / START TIME.
8:15 a.m…………………. First 6-Mile race start
8:00 a.m.–1:30 PM … 6-Mile Race Start Times – by appointment.
5:00 PM ………………… 6-Mile river races ends
7:00-8:00 PM …………. Awards Announced & delivered (as soon as they are ready)